Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Maybe I'm Just Being a Puritan, But...

...I think it's really beneath the dignity of the President and the presidency to hawk a t-shirt, especially this one, to commemorate a legislative achievement.* First of all: this is health care reform, not the Stanley Cup. It doesn't need a t-shirt.

More importantly: the DNC and Organizing for America should know better than to stick the Obama brand on something that refers to a major political achievement as a "BFD." (Frankly, I find a lot of the official Obama marketing and media outreach to be cheesy and distasteful. But whatever.) It's not that I disagree with the shirt - getting health care done was a big effing deal, and I'm glad it happened. But can we show a little more respect for the office than this?**

*Yes, I realize this is technically the work of the DNC and Organizing for America, not the White House. But still.

**Also, if you're going to comment that there are other, more serious offenses that harm the dignity of the presidency (like lying about torture), don't bother: I realize this, and I agree with you. But this one is beneath Obama, and it should have been a no-brainer to whatever bozo was running the shirt design contest.

No comments: